If you are 25 and fighting fit you may feel perfectly safe with winter approaching, but are you? Perhaps you should be on your guard. People all over the world spend millions annually on doctor visits and flu or cold remedies that may make the symptoms easier to bear but do not cure or cut short the duration of colds or flu.
To go into battle against colds and flu you will need to be well prepared and equipped with the right health armour.
You must be able to recognise the difference between colds and flu.
- A cold has the following symptoms: a headache and fever, a sore throat, a runny nose, a dry cough, a lack of energy and appetite, cold sweats, pain, rash, etc.
- A high temperature or fever with chills (feeling hot and then cold), a headache, muscle and joint aches, sweating, a persistent cough, a sore throat, general weakness and sometimes a runny nose and sneezing are all signs of flu.
You will need the right tools to do battle.
- If you have a sore throat, gargle with warm salt water (a half teaspoon of salt in one cup of water) every four hours
- Using steam inhalation may help or humidify your bedroom
- Go to bed and get enough rest
- Drink extra fluids (water or orange juice) to replace the fluid that is lost
- Take painkillers like aspirin or ibuprofen in the recommended doses
- Try a cup of chicken soup, it is very beneficial!
- Avoid smoking and stay away from alcoholic beverages
- Increase your intake of vitamin C but do not take more than 2000 mg a day
A healthy lifestyle will protect you.
- Colds and flu are not caused by getting wet or physically cold, but because your body’s resistance is reduced during cold weather, an infection is more likely
- Exercise regularly
- Maintain a positive frame of mind
- If you are feeling ill, don’t delay the trip to your doctor
Prevention is still the best option.
- Get a flu vaccination between March and May
- Avoid touching your face unless you’ve washed your hands
- Keep to a healthy, warm diet
- Get enough sleep
- Prevent long stressful situations
- Avoid crowded places where you can easily contract the flu virus
Source: The Careways Group (Pty) Ltd