Rather than taking mom out for an expensive meal in a busy restaurant, why not try some of these peaceful, relaxing options instead?
• Take your mom for a walk somewhere with a beautiful view.
• Pack a picnic and go somewhere off the beaten track.
• Plan a healthy breakfast or brunch – and do all the cleaning up yourself!
• Go for a scenic drive and then stop somewhere cosy for tea.
Here is a list of pampering gifts your mom will adore (and are also budget-friendly):
• Make your own card using a photo of your family on the front.
• Help save the environment – send her an e-card!
• Make a scrapbook of family photos and memories.
• Give her a set of scented candles, pampering products or a voucher for a manicure, pedicure or
• A bunch of flowers is sure to be appreciated – buy it or pick flowers from your own garden.
• Get some beautiful beads from a bead shop and make her a piece of jewellery.
• Give her a novel or her favourite magazine. Or get her a magazine subscription, so she will receive
one every month for a year!
• Bake your mom some delicious low-fat muffins and wrap them in pretty paper.
Double Chocolate Muffins
When baking, using fruit in place of most of the sugar and fat helps to lower the fat and sugar content of the muffin, but still leaves them tasting great. Try these decadent double chocolate muffins that contain only 2.4g fat per muffin! Invite your mom to tea or bake them and present them in pretty packaging as a gift.
- 90g pitted prunes
- 125ml warm water
- 150g castor sugar
- 180ml skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 225g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa
- 60g chocolate chips
- Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray or line with paper muffin cases.
- Combine prunes and water in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add sugar and blend until smooth.
- Add milk, egg and egg white and beat until just combined.
- Fold in sifted flour and cocoa and then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan and bake in a preheated, moderate oven (180°C) until firm to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.